I liked this quote one of my Area Supervisors have written in light of our Director's recent, unexpected passing:
Life is forever changed, but we are moving on, one day at a time.
It is so eloquent, and I can't put it any better than that. It's like carrying a wound that had scraped your skin, the sting of it gradually becoming less and less, but the new, recovered tissue is still rough and tender; not yet fully healed.
I also wrote to another Principal that life is slowly (and I say this with emphasis) getting back on track, though I think it will be a little while to fully let the realisation sink in and not keep expecting the Director to walk around the office, not to hear his voice; for me not to personally seek him out each time I walk in.
But things are returning to some semblance of normalcy, believing that a) life, as demonstrated by his sudden passing, is too short to stay stagnant and for anyone to dwell in the negatives, b) he himself wouldn't want any of us to stay grieving for all eternity, and c) that one day, we will see him again.
With that, I've revived certain forgotten, momentarily-pushed-aside passions in my life. I've gone back onto the healthy diet wagon, finding myself trawling through websites for new recipes. I've started waking up at the same time again (or even earlier), finding solace in doing mundane things such as emptying the dishwasher before I have to go to work. I've put down my pen for a while, finding that there is excitement to be had simply by ironing your clothes and watching TV. And today, that the sun is finally shining, I might just go on that bike ride after work...
No comments:
Post a Comment