Monday, December 14, 2009

Call Me Anti-Social...

Or downright rude... but I LOVE my solitude.

Don't get me wrong, I love my husband. Very much. I love spending time with him. I love talking to him, joking around with him, laughing until my insides hurt with, or at him ;)

But there are something to be treasured in having my 'me' time, and once I've got 'a dose' of it, I really have a hard time in letting the idea go.

My husband had a work Christmas party in which partners were not invited. So off he went all by himself, and I had the house to myself for about 5.5 hours! It was... an absolute bliss, you know. I could watch some of the soapie stuff my husband isn't really into. I could write whilst listening to music without any other interruption. I could have a nap, sprawling on the bed.

I wrote, in excess of 6 pages on Saturday. I was hoping to repeat it the very next day. But Sunday rolled over (yes, I am loving the 'roll over' expression for the moment), and we had to do some grocery shopping. We called my husband's parents and they decided that they wanted to watch Avatar in Gold Class with us, so we had to book and offered to pick up their tickets. We hit the idea of having a swim at their house, and dinner, which meant buying some food for said dinner.

By 7:30, I was dead from swimming, feeling rather langurous from too much eating, and CRANKY because I haven't written a single page. By the time we got home, my husband demanded to watch something, together, and he hated it when I only half-watched stuff that he wanted us to watch together. So no writing. And my mood had become so rotten by then it took everything in my power not to bite my husband's head off.

I wish sometimes there was a deserted island I could visit whenever I want, dropping everything - housework, work, obligations, husband - at any given moment my brain received a surge of inspiration, without having to deal with the ramifications. I long for a day, a week, a month, of total solitude; of being able to lock myself away, or even have a hiatus somewhere, ALONE, and write from day to night, and do it all over again the next day.

No comments: