Friday, December 11, 2009

To Quote One of My Favourite Authors...

Regarding the state of my brain lately....

Bwang.... Feeble... Feeble... Flop.

This is an analogy by Diana Gabaldon (http://voyagesoftheartemis.blogspot.com/) - the author of all the 'Outlander' series, liking the brain to that of a rubber band being stretched and released.

There is something to be said about the effect of weather on your productivity, and don't let anyone tell you differently. I function at a much slower rate during summer; I suffer more headaches; I become more of a monster than I usually do; my motivation seems to jump out of the window; my body rebels at the thought of doing anything remotely energetic, even if it is just to do such a simple thing as vaccuuming.

And so the inspiration comes also at a much, much slower pace. Not even that, whatever inspiration that has entered my brain seems to be melted away by the scorching heat almost immediately that I find myself, in rising frustration, having to sit back and thinks, "what was that sentence I just thought of?"

To this end, I think I'm going to steal the idea from Small Pleasures (http://thesmallpleasures.blogspot.com/) and list a few 'sections' I wish to get done this month (and you guessed it - I don't have it down pat this very moment because the words have, once again, up and left me).

But inspirations come at the most unusual times/places (this is where the rubber band is being released and making that bwang...! sound). I found myself sitting by the coffee table this morning, one hand holding a ham and egg jaffa for breakfast, the other vigorously writing for 20 minutes before I head off to work, oblivious to my surroundings and NOT feeling the heat (it's the first for me in how many weeks!).

So, not wanting to scare the inspirations away... I'll leave it at that. I'm not even getting excited about the fact... yet...

No comments: